JG Sports Media’s latest audio interview guest played 10 seasons in the NHL and coached in back-to-back RBC Cup national junior A hockey championships, including winning in 2017 with the Cobourg Cougars…John Druce.
In this interview, I speak with John about a number of topics, including:
- The 30-year anniversary of him setting a Washington Capitals record for most goals scored in the playoffs: “I think what happened during those playoffs was when preparation met opportunity I was fortunate and able to take advantage of that.”
- Alex Ovechkin breaking his record, with 15 goals in 24 games, in 2018: “I sent him a message that said ‘What took so long?”
- The teams he played with and how he fondly remembers some great teammates in Washington, Winnipeg, Los Angeles and Philadelphia.
- Five years working in broadcasting for Canadian Hockey League and NHL games: “The best part about being in the hockey world, when you are travelling around the country from rink to rink, you’re getting to see people you played with, people that coached you, people that were in management so it was a way to stay in the game without actually being in the game.”
- Pedal for Hope cycling fundraiser out of Peterborough and his late daughter Courtney’s battles with cancer. “It was a long battle and she was my hero. I can’t believe how well she dealt with it.”
- Coaching the Cobourg Cougars, as the host team, to the RBC Cup victory: “When it did come down to the RBC Cup it was a whole group effort that really understood that they needed to work hard and push themselves to the limit to be able to achieve our goal of winning the RBC Cup that year.”
- Coaching the Wellington Dukes the following year to the RBC Cup final, after winning the Ontario Junior Hockey League Buckland Cup and the Dudley Hewitt Cup: “It was very rewarding to see the guys and the commitment that it took over basically two-and-a-half months. It was an amazing journey.”
NOTE: While we wait for local sports to return following the COVID-19 pandemic, a big part of JG Sports Media’s website content will be audio interviews, like this one.
Guests will include representatives from local sports organizations as well as other notable guests, many who have ties to this area and even some who don’t.